If you need to create charts for your site you can choose from a multitude of online applications with flashy results but after trial and error I have found that they all lack the precision and customisation by the tool I used in presentations in the world of finance – good old Excel.
A key tool for chart creation in Excel is the ability to manipulate the default colour palette in line with your colour scheme; the default palette automatically applies colour to a range of formatting including cell fills and chart elements allowing you to create a series of charts all formatted uniformly. I haven’t found this level of detail in online alternatives but perhaps capabilities have progressed?
- On the Tools menu, click Options and then click the Colour tab
- Click the first colour that you want to change and then click Modify
- To replace one standard color with another, click the Standard tab and make your selection
- For a more precise colour choice, enter your requirements on the Custom tab
- Repeat for each colour you wish to change